When she passed away I was actually living in her house in Covered Bridge. She was living in an apartment close to her only daughter. I was scared to go home that night after I knew she had passed away. I didn't want to go home to her house where there were so many memories and momentos of her. Going home wasn't as awful as I thought it would be but I felt lost. Grandma was a spiritual giant and she was the head of our family for many years. I didn't know what we would do without her. I remember praying and asking who was going to lead our family and if we would be okay without her. Words from a hymn came into my mind.
"Fear not I am with thee oh be not dismayed, for I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee and cause thee to stand. Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous, Omnipotent hand."
At first I couldn't remember what hymn it was but these words were so comforting to me. I knew that even though someone I loved so much and looked up to as a leader and guide was gone that I and my family would be ok . Grandma always put her trust in the Lord and if I did the same I would be ok. That hymn, "How Firm a Foundation" is one of my favorites and continues to comfort me 3 years later. I wanted to make sure I recorded this story and last night reminded me I hadn't done it yet.
Grandma's party always consists of hot dogs and pot luck salads, playing softball and basketball, and carriage rides. For several years, Grandma joined right in and played softball with everyone. Here are some pics from Last nights party.
In the carriage
Gordon, Ella, Keni and Jace are all on this carriage ride.
This is the last picture I think that I have of my Grandma. Here she is holding Ella (on the left) and my niece Emmy (on the right).
Ella and Hannah.
1 comment:
Kathy! This was such a beautiful post. I still tear up anytime I talk about Grandma. Lori and I were talking about her the other day and I told Lori that even though she wasn't my actual Grandma, I always felt like she was. She had a way of loving you so much that you really felt like you were her real family. I miss her so much. I can't believe I've never seen your blog till now. It's way fun. I love your Little Women quote at on your Blog Header.
Post a Comment