Thursday, April 10, 2008

A happy surprise!


Today, while I was changing Jace's diaper, Gordon ran into the kitchen and got me a plastic bag to put it in. He can running back, handed it to me and said, "Look mom! I did it without you even asking!" I was shocked to say the least and very pleased. I tried to praise him and make a big deal about it so, we will see if it ever happens again.

What I am even more impressed by is where he got the idea in the first place. On Sunday, during General Conference Elder Ballard gave a talk about mothers. In it he said, "The third question: What can children, even young children, do? Now, you children, please listen to me because there are some simple things you can do to help your mother. You can pick up your toys when you are finished playing with them, and when you get a little older, you can make your bed, help with the dishes, and do other chores—without being asked."

I made Gordon and Ella sit and listen to this part. They listened and Gordon remembered it 4 days later. A miracle!!

Secret #3: Children listen and understand a lot more than we think they do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am impressed, because I wasn't sure he was actually listening that day. Your kids always surprise me with what they know and remember.